Re: DNS: Re: Melbourne IT/Domains (fwd)

From: Richard Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:35:56 +1100
>   Domain Name: sex.com.au
[SNIP]
>How DARE THIS BE REGISTERED.
>
>I (and I am sure others will) DEMAND to know HOW it got registered, WHO
>approved it, and WHY it was approved.

Those of us in the business for awhile know what happened. I'm sure kre
will back me up.

The policy on names in the .COM.AU domain has changed over time.
"In the beginning, it was open slather. Then the domain God
decreed: Let there be rules".

Your example of sex.com.au is one of hundredes, i.e. law.com.au,
science.com.au, and on and on. These domains were registered long
before the rules were established. Your fuck.com.au example
is out of line: obscenities have never been allowed and never will be.

The question that should be on everyone's lips is this:

    What is the DNA policy w.r.t. existing domain names that
    do not comply to the new rules? Are they removed from the
    Domain Name System?

Cheers,

Richard Welykochy                                           rick&#167;dot.net.au
Dot Communications Ltd  Suite 510, 3 Smail St   Broadway NSW Australia 2007
tel: (02) 9281 1111                                     fax: (02) 9281 2219
sydney modem: (02) 9281 2044                melbourne modem: (03) 9416 0860