DNS: Aniversary Payements Part 1

From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve§skeeve.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 01:36:11 +1100 (EST)
You, Simon Hackett, shaped the electrons to say:
+
+I have just read a statement on the "guidelines" page (what a mess of pages)
+stating that  _all_ existing names in com.au must be renewed before February
+1st, 1997. I have been told that this blanket renewal point exists because
+their true anniversary is not known. Well, guess what - for the 100 or so
+we're responsible for caring for at this time, I *can* supply the
+anniversaries, and I *dont* intend to pay you $10,000 for doing nothing as a
+christmas present, for doing nothing with respect to those names. I *would*
+be prepared to pay you on the real anniversary of the creation of each name,
+as that is the point where I will be collecting fees from my customers for
+continued value added services related to the adminstration of those names.

I agree... last I checked.. we have approximately 150 or so com.au on our
servers.. and I am NOT prepared to pay this money for doing nothing.

I will followup in "PART 2" about this February 1997 payement.

+Hence, what I'm asking you to do is to trust any statement of the
+anniversary for a domain name from a party with a reasonable relationship to
+the name (e.g. technical or admin contact) - which will have the sensible
+effect of spreading income over the whole year, a very sound business
+practice and the way to avoid upsetting hundreds of ISP's and their
+thousands of DN customers. And, guess what - there is no down side to the
+date being inaccurate! All you need to do is institute the following policy:

I can also give you aniversaries for most of our domains, as we charge customers
a yearly fee for dns maintenance which needs to be invoiced on the aniversary.

| Skeeve Stevens - MyInternet  personal.url: http://www.skeeve.net/ |
| email://skeeve&#167;skeeve.net/   work.url: http://www.myinternet.net/ |
| phone://612.9869.3334/       mobile://0414.SKEEVE/      [753-383] |