Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Rev Simon Rumble <simon§rumble.waratah.id.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:34:10 +1000
At 5:40 PM +1000 3/12/96, Simon Hackett wrote:

>If you wouldn't mind telling me how I gain permission to fire up a competing
>com.au registry any faster than waiting for the promised guidelines to turn
>up in (I believe) mid January, I'm all ears.

The .com.au is exclusively delegated to Robert Elz, who I presume is
reading this (Hi Kre) from the DNS list.  Essentially you have to bow and
scrape to Robert in order to get the delegation.  Now this makes Kre seem
like a Nazi taking advantage of his powerful position, which he isn't.  He
has taken on a lot of consultation from the Net community including INTIAA.
We need to lobby Robert to install competition with Melbourne IT before
their February renewal date, or lobby them to extend this period.

As I said before, my main problem with your proposal is the inconsistency
of having two commercial domains which do essentially the same thing.  If I
want to find Microsoft Australia, it seems logical to look at
www.microsoft.com.au.  To have to check www.microsoft.biz.au seems rather
redundant and would probably mean most companies would go for both.

---
 ___           simon&#167;rumble.waratah.id.au
|___            Associate Editor, Online World
 ___| H E R M    http://www.onlineworld.net.au