Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Michael Malone <pariah§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 16:12:59 +0800
> The main problem is that the .au DNS server needs to be able to point one
> server which is authorative about .com.au.

We came up with a number of solutions to this problem. If we
naively assume ethical behaviour, contractually enforced if
necessary, then the process becomes fairly simple.

The AUNIC submission pages currently allow DA's to sidestep
the issue of worrying about race conditions. Once a submission
is made, the same domain cannot be requested again until it
is out of the queue. These forms would need modifications
in order to allow for different registries. This is a simple
change (embed a registry name into the form for instance).

Merging of the registry data is also not difficult, and can
be done in a fair fashion, if we presume on ethical behaviour
by the "real" primary. Let's say there are two registries
within COM.AU.

1) Melbourne IT primaries for "MITcom.au", a non existant
   2LD domain, which includes all their primaries.

2) iiNet primaries for "iiCOM.AU", also an unlisted 2LD,
   and we add all our new clients to this as well.

3) The "real" primary seconds both these fake domains. Then,
   at agreed upon times (presumably once per day), the real
   primary merges MITcom.au and iiCOM.AU to form COM.AU.

I can expand on this further if required, and it is
obviously not the only solution. This was discussed when
my DNS paper came out, and I kind of liked this method
since it does not require any compatibility between
architectures or creation of new transfer protocols.

This is literally a handful of hours' work to get a working
infrastructure in place. The problems in establishing such
a competition are -not- technical. The problems are purely
political.

Transfers between registries is non trivial, only in so much
as there is currently no infrastructure in place, and it
requires the cooperation of the party that is losing the client.
I don't believe this is as large a problem as it may appear.
If Client A moves from MIT to XYZ, then they will stop paying
MIT anyway. It is probably best enforced by contractual
agreement between the parties.

MM