Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 08:46:52 +1000
>Many of the arguments against this have been that there is
>no need for it, that it is cosmetically ugly, and that noone
>will use it anyway. I don't see this anyone else's problem. If
>noone uses it, then the 'net community gets the model for
>free, and iiNet and Internode smile sheepishly as we lose money.
>But we're betting that people will choose to register with BIZ.AU,
>and thereby justifying the production of software for someone else
>to compete with MIT in the near future. And we're willing to put
>our money and staff behind that belief.

I strongly agree with the above. Arguments about cosmetics are largely
irrelevant - as Michael as said, we (iiNet and Internode) are attempting to
help to create a competetive environment by seeding the market with a pair
of competing registries in a new namespace. The new namespace is in the
proposal partly to sidestep the com.au related issues (i.e. to avoid them
delaying the success or otherwise of operating in BIZ.AU).

Nonethless, both iiNet and Internode would be delighted to also be operating
as competitive DNA operations in the COM.AU space, just as soon as politics
and polcy permit this. Some people responding on this list have basically
said "so why don't you do this in com.au". The answer is "We'd be delighted,
just as soon as the politics and policies exist to allow it". Right now,
today, Melbourne IT are operating in a monopoly position. As soon as that
changes to practically, not just theoretically, permit competition, we'll be
involved immediately.

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777