Re: DNS: Re: [Fwd: Domain Name Policies: Next meeting of the DNS Forum]

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 21:48:10 +1000
>A3: that Rule 7, that excludes any word 'that is not an unqualified
>Australian place name such as "Melbourne"', be made more precise, by
>only excluding those Australian place names appearing in the list of
>Australian Post Codes listed in the back of the White Pages directories.
>(That is the way that the COM.AU DNA is currently interpreting this rule
>anyway.)

For interest, I would note that I think the example of "Melbourne" (as in
melbourne.com.au) is a fairly badly chosen one, because if you care to take
a look at the DNS, you'll see that one organization has got delegation of
melbourne.com.au, sydney.com.au,adelaide.com.au, brisbane.com.au (and some
others I think), already... so using that an example of what you won't
permit seems a little silly to me for that reason :)

Meanwhile, I secon Geoff's question: why is there, intrinsically, any
actual problem with letting people register common names in com.au?

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777