Re: DNS: Re: [Fwd: Domain Name Policies:]

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 21:46:08 +1000
I agree woth Mr Lees on this...

There are 3 reasons why you may want to have reasons to prevent a party
having a name of their choice (i.e. have a "policy')

1 - to safeguard the interests of the DNS zone administrator, who may
be called in as a party when the name in question is asserted to be
the property of a third party

2 - to safeguard the interests of a potential third party who may
at some point in the future identify themselves as the rightful
owner of the property of the name

3 - to prevent parties who are applying for names avoid legal litigation
by preventing them access to a name to which they appear to posses
no right of assertion of property.

None of these reasons really stand up - at least thats my reading
of advice I have heard from the relevant folk who deal with trademarks and
intellectual property issues.

In the absense of a policy what can be done?

One method is to use a mandatory public notification period, where an applicant
for a name is publically announced, and other claimants to the name can undertake
appropriate action to prevent the name allocation through due legal process.
In this case there is no damage - the name was never created and therefore the
legal action is not to determine damages, but more focussed on sorting
out which party has the due claim to own the name.

Here I use "own" in an absolute sense. Domain names can and will be traded.
They have value, and they have "owners". Pretty soon (i.e. now) we have
to recognise this and sharpen up our administrative procedures to recognise
reality .

  Geoff