Re: DNS: "The plight of the uninformed"

From: Ron Creevey <ronc§magna.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:29:45 +1100
In defence of Melbourne IT, we have nearly 500 com.au domains housed here at
Magna Data
we have only experienced this problem once, not bad. And I know we are not
alone on
this. So as far as I'm  concerned Melbourne IT are on the right track. If
your customer
does receive a letter from Melbourne IT by mistake, then just explain to
them that it is a
mistake, and that you as there ISP will be dealing with Melbourne IT on
there behalf.
This is not hard, and is hardly an issue.

regards

Ron Creevey
Magna Data

At 13:00 21/02/97 +1100, you wrote:
>> FYI, this week Melbourne IT has carried out a mass mail-out via
>> Australia Post of reminder notices to the Managing Directors of all
>> organisations listed against those com.au domain names that have not yet
>> been renewed.
>
>Not to mention a number of domains for which renewals have been submitted!!
>
>> Excepted from this mail-out are all those domain names for which
>> Participating ISPs, other ISPs and aggregators, or the end users
>> themselves have initiated the renewal process with Melbourne IT on their
>> behalf.
>
>That might be how it was supposed to work, but unfortunately it seems
>that a number of our customers have received these letters, despite
>renewals being submitted for their domains several weeks ago (well before
>the February 10th cut-off date)
>
>Melbourne IT's response - they "stuffed up".
>
>Of course, where this is really going to become an issue (other than
>the obvious fact that it makes both the ISP in question and Melb-IT look
>like they are incompentant) is when the customer decides to pay for the
>domain, and the ISP does as well!!
>
>  Scott.
>  HunterLink

Ron Creevey

NSW Sales Manager		email:  ronc&#167;magna.com.au
				tel:      (02) 9272 9600
Magna Data Australia		Fax:     (02) 9264 7308
Internet.Solutions.Provider		WWW: www.magna.com.au