Re: DNS: Legal Action by iiNet Techologies

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:00:04 +0900
>However I want to express my disappointment that Michael Malone has
>sought to achieve through court action what he has not been able to
>achieve through the DNS Forum, which is the Internet industry's
>self-regulating forum.

I think it important to note that the "DNS Forum" is not the Internet
industry's self-regulating forum. It is a group of interested individuals
who are working to set the framework to _create_ the Internet Industry's
self-regulating organization in the Domain Name adminstration space. But as
a group which has met a few times privately and only once publically, with
the aim to create that new body, it's simply wrong to claim that the "DNS
Forum" constitutes an entity which provides backing to the policies of
Melbourne IT in the com.au domain space at this time.

Hence, saying that the DNS Forum has endorsed the existing Melbourne IT
pricing policy is a little strong when it (a) is _not_ actually an industry
body, it's a group of people meeting to try to create one and (b) the first
public meeting fielded multiple objections to the current pricing policy of
Melbourne IT.

Now perhaps I went to the wrong meeting? I certainly don't recall any
formal approvals of the existing policy of insisting on a drop-dead deadine
of march 17 to avoid loosing service in the com.au domain. If you can refer
us to any statements of the "DNS Forum" which do support the policy of
removing working domains after March 17th if you've not been paid, I'd
(sincerely) love to see them - this is not facetious, I would, really, like
to see them. I must have missed something important.

Regards,
   Simon Hackett

----------------------------

Disclaimer: This is personal opinion only, expressed in an industry
discussion list, is not endorsed by any body that I am a member of, and
permission is explicitly NOT granted for any member of the media to
reproduce this message, in whole or in part, even if you don't identify me
in the report, without my explicit permission (you know who you are).

Regards,
   Simon Hackett

---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777