Re: DNS: COM.AU Renewals

From: Antony <antony§sydney.healey.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:53:26 +1100 (GMT+1100)
> Some of you will be aware that commencing before, and independent of,
> iiNet initiating its costly court action, Melbourne IT started
> constructive discussions with Pauline Van Winson of ISOC-AU and Luke
> Carruthers of INTIAA concerning an optional alternative approach to the
> treatment of the 'historical' domain names registered before Melbourne
> IT commenced its role on 8 October 1996 as com.au administrator.

Now, I don't mean to sound bitchy, but when exactly where you going to tell
the general internet community (or at least the DNA's) about this? March 17
at 5pm?

M.IT's delays would lead one to believe that this has been deliberate in an
attempt to 'scare' most DNA's into registering their payments with M.IT,
even though M.IT's method for 'so-called' renewals may be illegal. I am
speculating.

> It is expected that this agreement - which is awaiting ratification by
> the ISOC-AU membership - will be confirmed and announced on Monday 17
> March. I note that Michael Mallone is seeking to claim credit through
> his court action for changes that were already close to agreement
> between Melbourne IT and the principal Internet industry associations,
> working co-operatively and amicably togather, at the time he launched
> his court action.

I can understand iiNet's concern since they hold a number of domains on
behalf of their customers, for which M.IT suddenly turns around and says
"pay us or we'll delete your domain".

Had M.IT informed iiNet and the other DNA's of these discussions, perhaps
things would have been different. There is a large difference between
Pauline "making a submission" to M.IT and M.IT actually in active
discussions. I believe M.IT have brought this on themselves.

>From your previous email, I gather the new renewal date is 30th April, 1997
(you did not make this clear).

Has the anniversary date method been implimented yet, or was that just part
of Pauline's proposal? I believe this stated that existing domains that did
not require any M.IT intervention would be due 1st November 1997.

> As his court action makes serious and unfounded allegations against
> Melbourne IT, we will continue to strenuously defend our position in the
> courts, and in particular to defend the industry-endorsed policies under
> which we operate.

It must be nice to be funded (at least originally) by a government funded
(ie, tax payers... see, us) organisation.

Antony.

  Antony Healey		ISOC-AU Founding Member		Ph:  +61 2 9893 1883
  General Manager					Fax: +61 2 9893 1884
  Healey Communications Australia  --  Giving you the world...