Re: DNS: Letter to MelbourneIT from ISOC-AU regarding the domain name renewal procedure

From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve§skeeve.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 16:31:59 +1100 (EST)
You, Pauline van Winsen - Uniq Professional Services, shaped the electrons to say:
+

firstly,.. Pauline... you have done an EXCELLENT job and my membership fee
i paid to isoc is being used most wisely and i think i already have my monies
worth. big kudos.

+Category 3
+
+Though not in the scope of our original letter, MelbourneIT will need to
+consider how to process com.au domain name owners who have licensed their
+domains on the understanding that a fee would fall due on the 17th of March
+1997. It may be wise to consider extending the license of those domain name
+owners who have renewed but who do not require work to be performed on their
+domain until the 1st of November 1997.

I think melbourne IT should send ALL who have paid a licene for historical
domains a letter stating that their licence will begin on the 1st of november
1997, but if they need any modifcation to that domain, then the licence will
begine from that date.

I hung on, and told most of my clients (other than those who were scared of
loosing their domains and paid it) not to pay it... and with help from ISOC-AU
and iiNet (and their supporters) the industry has let melbourne.it know what is
wrong and right.

I also encourage anyone who has some spare cash to assist iinet in its fight
against M.IT as although the fight seems won.. it isnt. Read iinets website
regarding the case.

As much as M.IT would like to deny it, I think iinets courtcase kicked M.IT's
ass into gear and forced them to do something.

| Skeeve Stevens - MyInternet    personal.url: http://www.skeeve.net/ |
| email://skeeve&#167;skeeve.net/  work.url: http://www.myinternet.net.au/ |
| phone://612.9869.3334/         mobile://0414.SKEEVE/      [753-383] |
| Join the Internet Society of Australia - http://www.isoc-au.org.au/ |
| - This email is (c) 1997 by Skeeve Stevens - All rights reserved -  |