Re: DNS: April 4th ADNA meeting

From: Luke Carruthers <luke§magna.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:41:23 +1000 (EST)
> The higher the membership fee, the higher the self interested required
> for party X to consider joining. Obviously, they're going to need a
> level of benifit roughly equivilant to the fee.
>
> Taking the reverse, this obviously implies that to get the broadest
> representation, you should see the fee as low as possible.
>
> Given that it appears that you want to the broadest represenatation,
> you set your fees to zero.

Implicit in this statement is the assumption that large membership
equals broad representation.  For arguments sake, take the example
raised a few days ago upon this list - a large number of small ISP
organisations join up, and ADNA's decisions become unbalanced in
favour of ISP's.  Putting a membership fee in place ensures that
only those with a real interest in the process become members.

> 1. secratarial services. say a 1/4 time position, $7500/annum.
>
> 2. legal fund. I propose that you bar the DA's from suing the ADNA as
> part of there contract, and require all dispute resolution to
> procedure by arbitration.
>
> Then prohibit the ADNA for interacting with anyone but the DA's.
>
> Then require that if the ADNA is joined as a co-defendant when someone
> else sues a DA, that DA bear the costs.
>
> Hopefully, the upshot of all this is that the ADNA should never end up
> bearing any legal costs.

Might a lawyer (Patrick?) proffer an opinion here?

> 3. a twice yearly meeting. Funded by attendee's I think.
>
> Anything else? so far I get $7500/annum as costs. :)

4.  Applying for ACCC exemption, including submission, $20-25,000

5.  Applying for ACA endorsement, impossible to say at this stage, but
using the ACCC as a guideline $20-25,000

6.  Administration, $5,000

7.  Running .au name servers (part of the responsibility that goes along
with the authority to allocate DNA's), anyone's guess, allowing for
eventualities say $50,000

8.  Developing and running the central 3LD submission process (currently
run and paid for by AUNIC, including partial development to date), $15-20,000

9.  Other miscellaneous, at this stage unthought of eventualities, $20,000

Some of these figures are generous, but then it pays to be generous when
doing financial planning of this sort.  As you can see, there are quite
a few more costs, on the order of $132,500-152,500 in the first year.
This needs to be paid for.  Roughly $70,000 per annum may come out of
the com.au name space at current rates.  The rest must be paid for by
membership of the organisation, and other domain spaces (though this
is not expected to be significant).

Luke Carruthers
Magna Data
Internet Solutions Provider