Re: DNS: Here we go again :-(

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 15:30:06 +1000 (EST)
] > which provided a "license status" check.  Unfortunately,
] > it only classes domain names as "licensed" or "unlicensed".
] >
] > So, once again, we have a situation in which some domain
] > names are going to be deregistered in a few days.  What
] > we do not have is any way of determining which ones it
] > will be.
]
] Presuming you haven't bothered to keep copies of any of the
] various emails received when you register a new domain, you can
] always found out this information using the whois database.

The AUNIC does not tell you whether the domain is considered "unpaid"
or "dead" for historical domains (although it is a few months until
"dead" domains are deleted, so we may not be able to find out this
information reliably until it becomes critical, in late June).

I would imagine PISPs would also like the ability to check the status
of their ISP customers (if any), who may not have registered through
the PISP originally (so the PISP did not receive email from the aunic).
David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/  +61 3 9642-5997
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management