Re: DNS: Revised selection criteria for new DNAs/2LDs

From: Leni Mayo <leni§ais.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:49:16 +1000
Kevin Dinn wrote:

> 2. Must have at least 1 full time employee or equivalent to devote to
> DN applications,
> [toned down from requiring 5 full time staff, 1 on DNS; also added
> "or equivalent" to cover 2 * part time, contractor, etc.]

As I remember, the point of this criterion was to discourage small-time
registrars likely to startup and then disappear.  Not that there's any
guarantees, but '5' employess at least indicates _some_ stability.
Granted, this criterion might not be appropriate for smaller domains,
but if we are sticking to .com.au initially, then my vote: put the '5'
figure back.  Maybe even add a "$50,000 liquid captial" requirement.

> 4. Must be able to guarantee adequate connectivity and server
> performance to maintain acceptable levels of response to requests
> for DNS functions,

Haven't we determined that DNA function is unrelated to name
service?Replace with "Must have permanent connection to the internet as
determined by a three successful random 'ping' and 'http' samples from
(some hostname) over a two-day period to be advised."

> 6. The DNA should submit a business plan for the DNA sector of its
> business.

Remove this.  Is it serving a purpose?

> 8. DNA licences should be reviewed and renewed annually or more
> frequently at the discretion of the ADNA board.
> [Added "or more frequently at the discretion of the ADNA board" in
> case we get a dodgy operator]

This will go in the "Terms and Conditions".  Not sure that it belongs in
the selection criteria.

Leni.