Re: DNS: Draft selection criteria for new DNAs and 2LDs

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:40:16 +0900

>I can't agree with you here Simon.
>
>Setting a low QoS will eventually lead to bad money driving
>out the good and a low QoS for the entire .com.au name
>space.

Not setting an arbitary QoS number in the ADNA selection criteria documents
is not the same thing as "setting a low QoS". I would hope that all serious
DNA's aimed to provide high quality links, but as another correspondent
pointed out, the location of the publically visible DNS servers does not
have to have any physical relationship to the network links and location of
the DNA service providers.

Given that with some arbitration software, the only traffic a DNA would
need to move around is registration/deregistration/change requests, their
own bandwidth might not really matter two hoots (which is currently the
case with com.au as (again) has already been pointed out - Melbourne IT
aren't authoratative for the com.au domain in terms of publically fielded
servers at this time)

>From my perspective as the AARNet technical designer, part
>of  ADNA's brief should be to remove the public subsidies
>that currently prop up the commercial domains.

Philosophically this might be a reasonable point, but in practice it isn't
written into ADNA's brief (if such a thing exists) at this time, and there
are also some good reasons to retain some useful interconnects in various
manners between the AARNet and non AARNet parts of the Internet in
Australia. Personally, I feel that mutually backing up DNS servers is a
great example of a place where such mutual cooperation should remain in
place, not where it should be removed; I'll also point out that what AARNet
II's physical design might look like is not directly related to what
AARNet's member/customer sites might choose to do with consenting adult
server systems located in their university networks (e.g. munnari running
as a DNS for com.au)

>I have assumed that when ADNA and its DNAs are running,
>AARNet infrastructure supporting commerical domain name
>system operations can be redeployed.

But is it AARNet infrastructure, or university-private servers, we are
talking about here?

Wouldn't you like all of the R&E domains backed up for you on those nice
fast commercial servers, for free? Don't cut off your nose too fast :)

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777