Re: DNS: Revised selection criteria for new DNAs/2LDs

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:12:23 +0800
> Reducing the requirement from 5 to 1 f/t employee or equivalent is
> seriously underestimating the resources needed to provide a reliable,
> customer-focussed DNA service for high-volume commercial domains.

But that's the point.  Not all of them will be providing for
a high volume commercial domain.

I think any attempts at a fixed number are short sighted.  We
should simply require that sufficient numbers of staff are
available.

> Staff are required for providing a help-desk service; for processing
> invoices, payments and accounting; for software and systems admin support;
> for dealing with ADNA/policy/regulator issues;

We shouldn't be placing artificial restrictions in that say "you
have to provide a help desk" or even require invoicing.  This will
have to be something that the market will decide.  It may be that
there is a niche for an efficient registry that offers a stable
reliable service, at a low rate, but only wholesales.

> It would be irresponsible
> for ADNA to risk the stability and reliability of the DNS by setting the
> threshold requirements for new DNAs too low.

Perhaps.  But it would be arrogant to presume that we can foresee
the future, or that we should try to decide what the market wants.

MM