Re: DNS: Revised selection criteria for new DNAs/2LDs

From: Pauline van Winsen - Uniq Professional Services <Pauline.van.Winsen§uniq.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:15:03 +1000 (EST)
delurks after a long absence...

> > I basically agree with you re: QoS and market forces.  However none of
> > what you have said addresses the concern of stability in the
> > marketplace.  The other selection criteria that relates to stability is:
> >
> > 7. Must submit contingency plan for support of its domains if business
> > fails or decides to stop being DNA,
> >
> > If the domains are going to "sit in the DNS", then what does this mean?
>
> Peter may disagree, but in my opinion, it means "nothing".
> It costs noone anything, and they get no service.  If they
> need anything at all done (such as a redelegation), then
> they'll need to find a new DNA to do it.

the only problem with this is that it can get expensive for the
unfortunate customers, both in terms of getting a new DNA
to take on their domainname maintenance & more if they
require changes to their namespace which effect their business while
waiting for another DNA to take them on,
e.g. the change of an ISP.
no service does not necessarily equate with no cost if you're
a customer of a DNA which has folded.

agreed customers can always vote with their feet, but if their DNA
is operating solo in a 2LD it's sort of like saying to them that because
their street sign can't be freshly painted, they'll have to move to
another street.

however unlikely the event i think this scenario is something to
consider.

> If we can separate the three independant functions of:
>
> 	o Host for the software/database
> 	o Authoritive name servers
> 	o DNA (the one who actually deals with clients)
>
> then we also remove much of the problems in the event of a
> DNA disappearing.

agreed & the crucial one - ownership of the data.

> The hoster of the software (let's call them a NIC) is more
> of an issue.  If we require the the databases to be public,
> it becomes less of a problem.  Even if a rogue disappears
> with the database, there will be copies available elsewhere.

agreed.

> Losing a DNA is, in my opinion, a non event for the DNS.

providing there is something in place which can service the customers
of the lost DNA.

on the issue of how many $$ & how many staff are appropriate for a DNA &
what their DNA business plan looks like... i'm more interested in the quality
of their procedures & the technical ability of their staff etc.
transferring intangibles into selection criteria is much more difficult.
has there been any thought to a DNA's "drivers test"?
maybe this in conjunction with a $$ figure is the way to go?

cheers,
pauline
(speaking for herself)

Pauline van Winsen                                   pauline&#167;uniq.com.au
Uniq Professional Services Pty Ltd                       www.uniq.com.au
PO Box 70, Paddington, NSW 2021,                      (Sydney) Australia
Phone: +61-2-9380-6360      Fax: +61-2-9380-6416      Pager: 016 287 000
"The ultimate goal of most girls is usually marriage rather than a
continued career in the business world."
	       Choosing a Girl's Career - Book 8, Woman's World, circa 1964.