Re: DNS: DNA Selection Criteria V3.1

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 15:19:09 +0100
>which everybody spewed about. Which is why we came to the conclusion that
>all DNAs would take applications for all ADNA 2LDs. Could I get opinions on
>this ASAP so we can settle on this point, it is holding up the whole process.

I guess what is creating the ambuguity here is the definition (over time)
of "ADNA 2LD's" - if this means, essentially, commercial domains under .au
(i.e. com.au and future bretheren), then I'd personally expect (but see no
reason to compel) commercial DNA's to handle requests for all commercial
domains - why not, it's all more grist for the mill, why turn away business.

What I think Michael Malone has reminded us of in a recent mail message is
that not all DNA's are commercial ones - i.e. are operating in domains for
which $$$ are charged for services, and some of these domains may never
charge money for services.

While it might be hard to define "commercial" 2LD's (or it might not!), I
think my expectation is that all DNA's operating in commercial 2LD's would
tend to want to operate in them all, but that this might be entirely
distinct to what might happen in "non-commercial" spaces.

The question might therefore become - does this mean we exclude
non-commercial 2LD's from ADNA's processes (restricting its operations to
'commercial' 2LD's) or do we need to just drop the notion that all DNA's
might handle all spaces, and rely on the fact that in practice, enough
(all?) 'commercial" ones actually will, so that there will be enough
'mutual backup' of DNS servers to make things work?

Perhaps the only requirements need to be that all DNA's who operate in the
*same* 2LD or 2LD's must agree to mutually cooperate to ensure the presence
of one consistent database and one consistent presentation of domain names
to the Internet  in each applicable 2LD - isn't that both necessary and
sufficient?

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777