Re: DNS: Multiple Registrars in .asn.au, .edu.au, .gov.au

From: <vicc§cia.net.au>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 16:20:14 +1000 (EST)
>_From: Mark Hughes
>
> If we're going to let phoney educational institutions into .edu.au
> and get-rich-quick merchants into .asn.au via loose policy and
> no controls, hey, why not start from today even before additional
> Registrars start?

why is the job of the registrar to determine if its a "phony"
bogus dodgy or fly-by-nighter from the real thing? anyone can apply
for a non-profit assocation. the rol of the registrar is to provide
a gateway into the registry. not play judge jury and executioner.
surely when you go buy a business name they dont even try to determin
if you are "dodgy" or not? nobody then tries to sue the governement
for issuing a name to a dodgy operator. you are totaly confusing
the issues.

registrars take application on good faith, susbequent problems
are solved by proper t&cs inc limitation of liability. if we could
stop trying to get the registrars trying to play god, life would be so much
easier for everyone involved.

Vic