Re: DNS: [Oz-ISP] Social Engineering and 2LDs]

From: Rick Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:25:02 +1000
Adam Todd wrote in response:

> >The proposition I'm putting forward for debate is simply that the
> >portability or non-portability of 3LD's should be indicated to a
> >prospect _in a proactive manner_.
>
> In short, I guess I agree.  But then do you also tell everyone their Phone
> number isn't portable, or is that assumed?
>
> Do you also tell the person who purchases a Pizza from a store and drives
> 45 minutes that the pizza won't be as nice when they get to the destination?
>
> Why does a domain name have to be any more portable than a phone number and
> street address?
>
> If you move house you can't take the address with you.
>
> If a company moves address, it can't take the building?
>
> Just a few devils advocating questions, I'd love to see some comments on.
> This has of course been discussed in the USA DNS mail lists from
> yesteryear, and if I can find the thread, I'll repost the discussion, or
> make it available on my web server. (Preferances??)

You are using argument by analogy, which is doesn't hold water.

Adam, you often justify your position of alternative DNS services
by meeting your customer's requirements, i.e. it is what the customer
wants. Well, the same holds for portability of domain names. And there
is no technical reason domain names cannot move freely from
one host system to another.

 _/  Richard Welykochy                 mailto:rick&#167;dot.net.au
_/  Dot Communications Ltd             http://www.dot.net.au/world