DNS: The "Common Sense Concept"

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 06:37:40 -0500
On Tuesday, May 26, 1998 2:27 AM, Einar Stefferud[SMTP:Stef&#167;nma.com] wrote:
<snip>
&#167;
&#167;This leads me to ask a very simple question:
&#167;
&#167;        What is wrong with the concept of a confederation of
&#167;        interested parties forming up a self governing structure along
&#167;        the lines that I have outlined above.
&#167;

In my opinion, this concept is the right one and should be labeled the
"Common Sense Concept" <http://www.columbia.edu/acis/bartleby/paine/>
as opposed to some replacement for a particular group's proposal.
The Common Sense Concept is compatible with the approach that I
have been suggesting for a long time. Here are the major components
that I feel are needed to make it work:

	1. A Structured Root Built Around TLDs
	2. A 2+2+4 Trustee Structure to Provide Stewardship for the TLDs
	3. Neighbor Net Strategies of Self-Governance

The following data file is used to illustrate the examples:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

1. A Structured Root Built Around TLDs

The notion of a Structured Root is very simple. You begin by creating a
virtual auditorium or forum with a finite number of seats that are expected
to accommodate as many likely participants will show up to participate.
I have suggested that 2,048 "chairs" is more than enough. I know that 5
is not enough. Would any architect build an auditorium with 5 chairs ?

On each seat you place the name of each TLD. You sprinkle the names
into 8 major sections to spread the people around and to mix the country
code TLDs in with the generic TLDs. Here is a sample of how the names
can be placed on the seats.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

With 2,048 seats and 8 regions you have 256 seats per region. Each
TLD is allowed 2 delegates (see #2 below) to the regional "meetings"
which can happen in Cyberspace. Each of the 8 regions elects 2 delegates
to the global meetings which means that 16 people come together from
all over cyberspace to make global decisions which will be rare when
you consider the Neighbor Net methods below.

2. A 2+2+4 Trustee Structure to Provide Stewardship for the TLDs

In order to produce 2 delegates from each of the TLDs, I suggest
that a 2+2+4 Trusteeship structure be used. In such a structure 8
people provide public stewardship for the TLD. They are like the
trustees of a public library in a small town. Two of the people in the
structure are considered to be the co-trustees. Each of those people
have 2 back-ups and each of the back-ups have 2 back-ups. In my
opinion that is plenty of depth to ensure that the TLD has stewardship
in case someone dies, gets angry and disappears, etc. Here is an
example of how the trusteeship might look.

6:224     AU   (AUSTRALIA)

		5 ____________________
	3 ____________________
		6 ____________________
1 Robert Els (Elz?)
2 ____________________
		7 ___________________
	4 _____________________
		8 ____________________

Australia top-level domain (AU-DOM)
   Australian Research Network
   Computer Science
   University of Melbourne
   Parkville, Victoria 3052
   AUSTRALIA

   Domain Name: AU

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Els, Robert  (RE18)  now&#167;KNOWN.COM
      61393748721 (FAX) 61393748724

3. Neighbor Net Strategies of Self-Governance

The Neighbor Net strategies are based on the common sense that
comes from having people who are "sitting" near each other in the
virtual auditorium working together. The Neighbor Net strategies are
the most difficult for people to understand. I think this is partly because
it is hard to show people sitting in a virtual auditorium with a flat ASCII file.
When I show it with Java or C+&#167; animations, people seem to get it more
quickly. The only way to explain it is via examples. Here are some
editted pieces from discussions from the G6 region.

6:71    NZL     (NEW-ZEALAND)
6:130   NZ      (NEW-ZEALAND)

As an example, you could view NZL as seat 6:71
in a large auditorium. You would contact the people
sitting around you. .TK might be easy to find and
also .TUV. Let's say you could locate people backing
those TLDs. Then the three of you become the trustees
for all of the TLDs in between. You might find the people
backing .NOC and then you have a complete neighbor
net because all of the seats are filled from .TK to .NZL.
That becomes your local area to grow.

6:69 TK (TOKELAU)
6:70 NOC
6:71 NZL (NEW-ZEALAND)
6:72 GARAGES
6:73 FLOUR
6:74 FIELD
6:75 TUV (TUVALU)

On the other side of you, between .NZL and .TUV
you may have more work to do. If you find out that
those TLDs (.GARAGES, .FLOUR, .FIELD) are no
longer supported you might want to change the names
and invite new people to join your neighbor net.

G6 only has 256 TLDs to coordinate. By working
together with all of the other people in that G-overnance
region, you keep the thing together. Eventually, you
will run across 6:130 NZ  (NEW-ZEALAND) which
is a little closer to home. Check out the neighbor net
for that seat (6:130) and teach them how it works....

G6 will only be as good as the people there make it...
...have a ball...

======
In case you are more interested in New Zealand. You
would find that seat 6:130 has NZ as shown here:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

6:115 LK (SRI-LANKA)
6:116 SCHOOL
6:117 MAJOR
6:118 RAMIE
6:119 FACT
6:120 MAKE
6:121 HARVEST
6:122 RAIN
6:123 MALT
6:124 PRIVATE
6:125 TON (TONGA)
6:126 CYBER
6:127 LKA (SRI-LANKA)
6:128 MAX
6:129 MWI (MALAWI)
6:130 NZ (NEW-ZEALAND)
6:131 MARKET
6:132 FJ (FIJI)

If you work upwards and downwards looking for another
2-letter TLD you would find LK for SRI-LANKA and FJ
for FIJI. Since there is only one seat between .NZ and
.FJ you might want to locate the people backing the
.MARKET TLD. This would complete that part of the
neighbor net (or ring).

From there, you have more work to do or opportunity
at the top of the list. Some of those TLDs might be
easy to fill in and some may not. Again, as your
governance policies get worked out, you can change
the names above for the slots. Maybe .OZ is desired,
or some other name. Be creative...have a ball...

======

Here is what is stored in the DNS for 7:240 .ARTS.
Note that you have to look-up s240.g7 it is reversed.
With this approach, we can scan the 2,048 combinations
and figure out what TLD aliases are on each "seat".
For example, in G6 we would look to your servers for
S0.G6, S1.G6, S2.G6, ... S255.G6 to build the table
of info for the TLDs.

The TXT record has the TLD alias.
The RP - Responsible Person record is used to point
to a person's e-mail and web site.
The other NS info provides typical nameserver delegation
info for the TLD Name Servers.

Adam Todd has been working on these sorts of delegations
for the G6 region. He could delegate some to your name
servers by delegating entries like S130.G6 for .NZ

JF

====

; <<>> DiG 2.1 <<>> s240.g7 any
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 5, Auth: 2, Addit: 1
;; QUESTIONS:
;;	s240.g7, type = ANY, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
s240.g7.	172800	SOA	ns.unety.net. hostmaster.unety.net. (
			1998050506	; serial
			172800	; refresh (2 days)
			3600	; retry (1 hour)
			1728000	; expire (20 days)
			172800 )	; minimum (2 days)
s240.g7.	172800	NS	skyscape.net.
s240.g7.	172800	NS	ns.skyscape.net.
s240.g7.	172800	TXT	"ALIAS: ARTS"
s240.g7.	172800	RP	jnh.skyscape.net. www.skyscape.net.

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
s240.g7.	172800	NS	skyscape.net.
s240.g7.	172800	NS	ns.skyscape.net.

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
skyscape.net.	148245	A	207.107.232.3

;; Total query time: 23 msec
;; FROM: doorstep.unety.net to SERVER: default -- 207.32.128.1
;; WHEN: Sun May 17 20:30:26 1998
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 25  rcvd: 216

SUMMARY:

	1. Build a Virtual Auditorium to Hold All of the TLD Delegates
	2. Draw Those Delegates from Trusteeships for Each TLD
	3. Encourage the Decision Making to Happen in the Neighborhoods

-
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.net/IPv8
IPv8 - Designed for the Rest of the Human Race
AM Radio Stations ---> http://www.DOT.AM