Re: [DNS] the first step

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:40:47 +0930
At 11:09 24/06/98 +1000, Richard Archer wrote:
>The danger I see here is that the members of this list may not be
>representative of all parties who would be effected by the outcome
>of the vote.

Look, you can raise that claim at any time from now to the end of time, and
it will be accurate, defensible, and yet useless. Honestly, if parties who
feel they have a stake in this (and the number who really have a meaningful
stake, versus the number who only think they do might surprise you), they
are, really, probably 'here' by now. If you know of others you think might
care, please do invite them to join the list!

>I imagine 'interested parties' at this stage are probably dominated
>by prospective commercial DNS users or registrars. Those people may not
>make decisions that are in the best interests of future DNS users.

That doesn't stop up coming up with a model (or adopting one already shown
to work elsewhere) which is, in our best endevours, also in the interests
of non-commercial users. There are *plenty* of people with that issue in
mind who are on this list already.  There really, really are. Really.

>Also, if past experience is anything to go by, 80% support in this forum
>for any course of action would be a pipe dream.

I respectfully submit that the existence of this new list, already at 90%
of the population of the old one, disproves your assertion. Also, be aware
of the dangers of asserting, from the objections of (say) 2 loud people,
that the other 140 agree with the objectors. !  This is often not the case.
Again, the silent but incredibly important migration from the 'old' DNS
list, and the addition on the new list of the pivotal people who had
already left the old one, is an example of *huge* support for this forum as
the place to finally nail this down properly.  So lets do it :)

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777