Re: DNS: US White Paper

From: George Michaelson <ggm§dstc.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 16:43:57 +1000
Smashing to see some improvement. Obviously, as a committed ISOC member
I am royally pissed they don't get the coverage they deserve, but it
should put paid to the wankfest of opportunistic claim-grabbing that
has been going on.

I'm not sure I am completely agreeing this is a positive outcome: the one
thing which is immediately clear is that 'sound business footing' is
being made important, but I fear the wordings for 'retention of public
interest' are a bit weaker than I'd have liked. The WP makes a lot more of
the negative feeling about IaHC than I would have. As if technical people
can't make sane decisions in this arena :-)

However its avowedly internationalist, and quite clearly not-for-profit
as a management process (I don't say governance, since clearly the WP
says its not looking to imply any governance of matters internet beyond
those of pure naming/addressing policy)

I look forward to seeing what the ISOC and IANA comments on this is.

And I suspect that translated into a .au context, its a clear signal
that bodies like the *-IA and ISOC-AU have a role to play here...

	cheers

-George