Re: DNS: perhaps suspect trading practise

From: Stephen Baxter <steve§senet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:26:21 +0930 (Cen. Australia Standard Time)

> a.      Ensure that NONE of your current or future resellers repeat this.
> b.      Ensure that your resellers are trained to provide the FACTS to the
> consumers. Such as
> ·       au.com is a Privately owned Domain name
> ·       it is NOT a recognized country level domain
> ·       it is not an accepted country code as is com.au

is not a monopoly either !

fair go - everybody gets a rogue reseller every now and again even with
the best term and conditions.

Perhaps if there was real competition in com.au as opposed to the travesty
we have now then this type of behaviour would not happen - we could all
come from this same position of strength and power when reselling domain
names !

> ·       Net registry is not recognized by the existing Internet community
> as an
> official Registrar
> ·       they are buying a 3rd level domain name from a Privately owned Domain
> name in contrast to com.au which is currently administered by Melbourne IT
> under the aegis of the .au registrar hence providing legitimacy and longevity
> ·       etc
>
> c.      Most importantly, to ensure that ALL the people that got duped into
> buying domain names from Australia & New Zealand Domain Name Registry as a
> result of this fax campaign get
> ·       a letter of explanation and apology
> ·       a FULL refund from Net Registry.
>

> I trust that this will not occur again.
>

> Clive Flory
> General Manager
> Internet Names Australia
>
> PS: If one took a look at Net Registries Web site one would get the sense that
> Net Registry have also been a little sloppy about the "FACTS" they present to
> consumers. So if you want to show leadership then your web site is a good
> place
> to start.
>

> At 03:34 PM 6/17/98 +1000, you wrote:
> >Stephen, Chris, rick and the list
> >
> >The fax referred to in the original posting by Stephen was sent out by a
> >reseller of .au.com names, NOT NetRegistry, the .au.com Authority.
> >
> >This fax has been stopped and the resller has been informed that unless his
> >practices cease his reseller status will be withdrawn. I want to make it
> >very clear on this list that NetRegistry does not condone this approach to
> >domain name sales and will not tolerate any action on behalf of our
> >resellers that misinforms or misleads the public.
> >
> >Moreover, NetRegistry explicitly welcomes suggestions and information from
> >the Internet industry regarding any such practices and will always take
> >action to ensure that domain name buyers are well and accurately informed.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >_____________________________________________
> >
> >Larry Bloch
> >Chief Executive Officer
> >NetRegistry Pty Limited
> >email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
> >Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
> >Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808
> >
> >http://www.netregistry.au.com
> >Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043

Stephen Baxter             SE Network Access/Big Networks Australia
phone : +61 8 8221 5221    222 Grote Street
fax   : +61 8 8221 5220    Adelaide 5000, Australia

(www.ausbone.net - do not go quietly into the night !)