Re: DNS: defining "official" domains

From: Chris Chaundy <chris§connect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:25:55 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, David Keegel wrote:

> To put this in context, I think there are three (orthogonal?) properties
> of domains which accept registrations from unrelated entities :-
> 	1. whether the domain has a chain of authority back to IANA
> 	   (which we seem to be calling "official")
> 	2. whether registrations/delegations are portable.
> 	3. this property, of being delegated by the parent for the
> 	   purpose of taking registations from unrelated entities.
>
> Domains like AUS don't have property 1, and do have property 2.
> I'm not sure whether property 3 makes sense in this context, but if
> there was a COM.AUS for example then it would have property 3.
>
> Domains like aust.com have property 1, but not property 2 or 3.

Strictly speaking, until competition is introduced into com.au (or net.au
for that matter), these are not that different from aust.com in that you
cannot take the actual delegation from INA (or CCA) to someone else.  Also,
if domain registration/delegation business of aust.com is separated from
any other business conducted by the owner, why shouldn't it be portable
(after all CCA is morally obligated to operate net.au in this manner)?
--
Chris Chaundy (Core Engineering Manager)

connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.
Internet: chris&#167;connect.com.au   Phone: +61 3 9251-3671   Fax: +61 3 9251-3666