RE: DNS: defining "official" domains

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:04:45 -0500
On Sunday, June 21, 1998 10:00 AM, Adam Todd[SMTP:at&#167;ah.net] wrote:
&#167;>| You are aware that IANA Bills Robert Elz $100 (well when it was $100)
&#167;for .AU
&#167;>
&#167;>This is rubbish (ie: 100% false), which is perhaps not surprising,
&#167;>considering the source of that quoted line.
&#167;
&#167;Funny, I've got it from InterNIC themselves :)  Charges for all ccTLDs were
&#167;made, because last year one ccTLD was put on hold - due to lack of Payment.
&#167;

I am not sure about ccTLDs being put on hold. There are so
few of them, it is noise to NSI. I imagine they put it into the
category of professional courtesy.

The one highlight last year of the "on hold" fiascos was RIPE.NET.
They evidently overlooked their bill and the InterNIC eventually
put their name on hold.

Keep in mind that being put on hold as a TLD in this day and
age may not be the end of the world. For example, many of
the GRS-based ISPs have TLDs wired directly into their systems.
They would still be able to reach that TLD's name servers even
if the U.S. Government took the TLD out of the legacy Root Servers.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com - 0:196 .MALL
1998 - The Year of the C+&#167;