Re: DNS: 13 Name Servers vs. 3

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 22:44:50 +1000
At 00:58 20/06/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Saturday, June 20, 1998 12:59 AM, Lincoln Dale[SMTP:ltd&#167;interlink.com.au]
>&#167;.. and, pray-tell, why would i want to decrease the number of root->@
nameservers
>&#167;from (currently) 13, located at in excess of 10 locations, down to *3*,
>&#167;located off two (seemingly not-particularly-well-connected) links?
>&#167;
>
>The Root Name Servers do not provide very much information when operating
>as Root Name Servers. The 13 servers that you are referring to are doing
>double (and triple) duty as .COM servers as well as IN-ADDR.ARPA servers.

Yes, I suppose in retorspect this makes them non RFC 2010 conpliant as
well.  I suppose Lincoln had better reassess his thought process.

>much better off accessing a small number of very well connected Root Name
>Servers for the Root Zone information than sending traffic half-way around
the

Well connected - according to Lincoln, who has the exact same services I
purchase from Telstra, mine are "not well connected" yet his resources are.
 I fail to understand how Telstra can in this case be accused of providing
a different level of service.

>world just to be able to say you have 13 servers to choose from, none of
which
>is near you (geo-netricaly).

Ahh, but this has been brought up several times before.  Rick W. is clearly
an activist for the 13 Legacy Root Servers because they are not 7 hops from
his severs.  Strangely his server is only one hop from his clients, what
Rick STILL fails to understand is the legacy Root Servers are 13+ hops away.

I am still waiting for Rick and Lincoln to produce their hop count reports
and of course their latency reports.  Of course they will use ICMP and
that's no guarantee of performance anyway.  If they asked nicely I might
supply some serious network managements tools so they can truely make their
claims.

Which they can't anyway, because there is no truth.

I also note that Lincoln - who keeps telling us HOW DAMN GOOD HE IS -
refers to the Root Servers as "Root Name Servers", but in all essence a
Root Server doesn't service resolution for names, just TLDs.

One day - maybe, in the distant future, in a land far far away, Lincoln and
Rick - might - just wake up to the truth and real technology they claim to
know all about.

Typical of teenagers though.  They think they know it all and one day
realise they don't.