Re: DNS: whois servers and official domains

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1§ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 03:12:24 +0100
Chris and all,

Chris Chaundy wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> >   I suppose you are referring to me in this comment.  That is fine, but you are
> > a bit off base with you comment, if I may say so.  First of all the
> > InterNic's Whois facility does not just query the InterNics Database.  It also
> > query's the 13 Legacy Root servers as well and any other Sub Domains that
> > are known to those 13 Legacy Root servers.  That comprises about 98.5%
> > of all the known DN's that are registered.  So I find your conclusion very
> > misleading or you are misunderstood my previous posts on this subject.
>
> Can you provide an example of this?

  Example of what EXACTLY?  Please be specific.

> > > Please remember that a
> > > large proportion of the Internet exists outside of the USA.  Just for a
> > > start, it does not appear that most if not all subdomains of delegated ccTLDs
> > > are listed.
> >
> >   This is also not a correct statement either.  In fact I pointed out one such
> > example of one that is listed that is a subdomain to .AU, that being .com.au.
> > There are only 4 Routable subdomains to .au back to the 13 legacy root servers
> > currently.  This is not to say that they are "Official" or "Authorized" crom
> > within
> > Australia, rather that the DN's registered under other subdomains/subnets to .au
> > are not visible globally.
>
> In that case, why does 'whois com.au' or 'whois com-au-dom' return 'no match'?

  I have answered this question several times already several times and did so
again just above.  But maybe I wasn't quite clear, so I shall try to do so again
here.

  The reason is that .com.au and/or .net.au are not "Globally" visible subnets or
subdomains. That simple really.  And as I said in my previous post (See below)
this is fine, but not part of the Legacy Root structure of the DNS in essence.

> All the DN's under .AU are perfectly visible globally using the DNS - they just
> don't appear under 'whois' (against the InterNIC DB), as distinct from AU.COM
> and AU.NET, which are totally different domains.

  Here where I think you are confused.  As you have them listed here, ".AU.COM" and
".AU.NET" are subdomains.  This may be true to the Domain Name server(s) within
Australia, but not past that hierarchy within the Legacy DNS structure.  Now all of the
DN's are indeed visible to the Legacy Root structure that have a 3LD designator.
But those are DN's not Subdomains.

> >   Now I would like to inject here that we currently do not see this as a right or
> > wrong situation per se.  Rather we believe that it is due to the current Legacy
> > Root server DNS system that is currently what 98.5% or the IPv4 address
> > space  Internet structure.  We believe that this structure is not in the best
> > interest of the Internet community and I have stated such on many occasions.
> > Hence our support for IRSC's that seek to be included or seek to change this
> > structure to allow for alternative gTLD's and TLD's as well as additional
> > interfacing IP address spaces that can expand the existing DNS and IP address
> > space structure.
>
> Sorry but I fail to see what this has to do with the point I am making.

  I just did in short above.

> > > With the lack of a widely-used whois referral mechanism, national
> > > and regional NICs are not tied back to the InterNIC in an automatic fashion
> > > (I for one would love to see this fixed).
> >
> >   This is already fixed and has been for some time.  You can use many different
> > Internet Network tools that are currently readily available for this purpose.  I
> > have mentioned a few of them earlier on this list.  Examples are SATAN/SATAN PLUS,
> >
> > Enterprise Network management system (Sun Microsystems) and Netview (IBM) are
> > a few.  We use all of these tools and have built our own interface facility to
> > interface
> > them for better Network and Internet management.
>
> Depends on your meaning of 'fixed'.  This should be fixed at the application
> protocol level and not require 'tack-ons' to management systems.

  It is fixed at the application level.  Just that some applications utilize the
interfaces available and others do not.

> Regards.
> --
> Chris Chaundy (Core Engineering Manager)
>
> connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.
> Internet: chris&#167;connect.com.au   Phone: +61 3 9251-3671   Fax: +61 3 9251-3666

 regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.