DNS: RE: whois servers and official domains

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 02:02:06 -0500
On Sunday, June 21, 1998 1:18 AM, Chris Chaundy[SMTP:chris&#167;connect.com.au] wrote:
&#167;There have been several postings by (I would assume) US-based list members
&#167;making the assertion that a domain is not official unless it appears in
&#167;the InterNIC whois database!  Sigh...  If that was the case, then the great
&#167;majority of domains in the world are not official.  Please remember that a
&#167;large proportion of the Internet exists outside of the USA.  Just for a
&#167;start, it does not appear that most if not all subdomains of delegated ccTLDs
&#167;are listed.  With the lack of a widely-used whois referral mechanism, national
&#167;and regional NICs are not tied back to the InterNIC in an automatic fashion
&#167;(I for one would love to see this fixed).
&#167;

Unfortunately, people working on the various "whois" and "whois-like"
software systems are all going in different directions. About all you can
rely on is the IPv4 DNS. This is why the IPv8 Plan uses the DNS to
encode "whois-like" information. That makes it globally available in
a consistent manner.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
1998 - The Year of the C+&#167;