RE: DNS: whois servers and official domains (Depends on where you look)

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 10:09:16 -0500
On Sunday, June 21, 1998 9:38 AM, Adam Todd[SMTP:at&#167;ah.net] wrote:
&#167;At 16:18 21/06/98 +1000, Chris Chundry wrote:
&#167;>There have been several postings by (I would assume) US-based list members
&#167;>making the assertion that a domain is not official unless it appears in
&#167;>the InterNIC whois database!
&#167;
&#167;Bit like the ambit claim that a Root Server isn't official unless it's in
&#167;the so called "official" Name Server Hints file.
&#167;
&#167;I guess it very much DEPENDS on WHERE you LOOK for the INFORMATION you
&#167;require.
&#167;

Yes...it is all relative to where you look. For example, some people
group countries in certain ways and only the countries that are part
of their view exist. Here are some examples...

&#167;@@@ http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/www/sec10.html

"APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation):Autralia, Brunei, Canada, China,
Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Phillippines,
Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, United States."
"EC (European Community):Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece,
Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom."
"Group of 7:Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, United Kingdom, United States."
"NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization):Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France,
Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal,
Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States."

&#167;@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

By the way...it would be nice if they learned to spell Australia correctly...
...of course, Australia is not on some politicians' radar screens. In other
words, it does not exist. I have not found it very useful to declare that
things that do exist do not exist just because someone does not want
to deal with the situation.

One of the advantages of the "tracking" approach to TLDs is that we
really do not have to be concerned about all of the details of a TLD.
If we can find some reference to it and locate servers for it then we
can track it. In the IPv8 Plan we only track the top 2,048 TLDs.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

.AU is certainly in the list. Whether it is being properly managed
should be up to the trustees that have stewardship over it. Again,
using the tracking approach, we are only concerned about the
top 8 people that are the leaders in the .AU TLD administration.
That seems to be a nice round number of people to make sure
that fair policies are followed.

Does anyone know who the top 8 people are in the .AU domain ?

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com - 0:196 .MALL
1998 - The Year of the C+&#167;