[DNS] IANA meeting § Geneva INET98

From: George Michaelson <ggm§dstc.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:08:29 +1000 (EST)
ISOC-AU doesn't have the funds to 'send somebody' there but
there are ISOC-AU members at INET98, and we expect to have
some degree of attendance and participation.

NOIE are going to help facilitate progress onshore as well. Don't
expect them to either adjudicate, or rule. We have to work it out
for ourselves.

And the currrent level of squabbling is really, really counterproductive.

Individiual examples of 'problems' in org.au are poor evidence of a wider
problem. If I recall correctly, Sandra's issues have been discussed
on the previous lists several times. We're seeing history rehashed,
not proof of a wide problem. Vic's complaints are laughably weak: he
appears to fail to understand what the whois record permitted lifeline
to do pending delegation in substance.

I suggest people stop bashing around on their small concerns in the specific
2LD, and instead concentrate on what governance REALLY means.

	* how do we form a representative body
	* what processes make it viable (appointment, operation, appeal)
	* what legal issues need to be confronted
	* funding
	* transition

Kates list is the basis of discussing these kinds of topics. Can we get
back to it?

Lets take up the ASX offer of facilities to teleconference, set a meeting
date for August, and plan towards it: the meeting is to discuss, not decide
and part of the discussion is about HOW we 'decide' when sufficient buy-in
is proven.

-George