[DNS] Comments on NOIE .au domain paper

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 07:21:31 +1100 (EST)
Here are some comments on the NOIE DNS audisc.html paper and the DNS page.

(1) Robert Elz is not in fact an academic, he is one of the "General Staff"
    at The University of Melbourne.

(2) Regarding the list of "Name Administrators", it might be clearer
    to have a table something like this :-

	Domain		Policy Administrator		DNA Operator
	======		====================		============
	edu.au		Geoff Huston			Geoff Huston
	gov.au		Geoff Huston -> OGIT?		Geoff Huston
	com.au		Robert Elz? INA/Melbourne IT?  	INA/Melbourne IT
	net.au		Hugh Irvine			connect.com.au P/L
	asn.au		Michael Malone			Connect West P/L
	csiro.au	CSIRO				hostmaster&#167;csiro.au
	org.au		Robert Elz			Robert Elz
	id.au		Robert Elz			various
	au		Robert Elz			Robert Elz

    There aren't really widespread terms for "Policy Administrator" and
    "DNA Operator".  The idea is that the former has administrative control
    and responsibility, and the latter operates/implements (the day-to-day
    work).  This sort of distinction might be useful later, when we start
    talking in detail about registries and registrars.

(3) I'm not sure that focussing on just the "Industry" subset of the
    Australian Internet Community is appropriate.  I know it's hard to
    get a handle on this kind of culture, but it is important to understand
    that within the Internet Community it is considered normal practice
    to provide some services to the community for free.

    Some of these services are critical to the operation of the Internet,
    and yet it is sometimes the case that those services are better
    delivered in this way than if a commercial entity was to take over
    (and I am talking here of quality, without considering cost).

    There is generally no clear line between producers and consumers
    on The Internet -- most people/organisations are both consumers of
    some services and producers for other services.
 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management