RE: [DNS] Give Austalian Business a go

From: Haydn Neal <h.neal§morganbanks.com.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:03:37 +1000
I agree in principle with David's treatment of brands, trademarks and
goodwill, however it's application to domain names can run into practical
issues.  Example:

I wish to register jsmith.com.au as my registered company name is jsmith and
company consulting - I cannot do this as the jsmith ARBN actually belongs to
jsmith, a small concreting company with no internet thoughts at this point
in time.  I have to end up registering jsacc.com.au - not the preferred
option from a marketing/brand name perspective.

jsmith.com.au may never be registered.

Is a legitimate (real intended user) first come, first served approach valid
in this scenario?

Is there a standing legal treatment of a domain name - The discussion group
has likened it to real estate, brandnames etc.  Each carries it's own
approach to 'ownership', tradeability etc and can provide vastly differing
scope for how we approach the subject.

Haydn Neal
Morgan & Banks