Re: [DNS] fairfax article

From: John R N Mackerras <desmac§zip.com.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:49:51 +1000
> ] We remember that this isn't the first time Melbourne IT
> ] has made such demands, and recall with relief that Mr Elz
> ] didn't assign .AU to ADNA when they were criticising him
> ] in a similar fashion.

> I would be interested to hear whether people on this list
> would like to see .au transferred to auDA.  I know a number
> of people had reservations about ADNA, and would be interested
> to know if people have reservations about auDA too.

I don't really know. Mr Elz has recieved a lot of flack on this list about the
time it takes to get a response from him, however the fact remains that he
has done an excellent job at allocating second-level domains or not
allocating them as he sees fit. The control over the number and type of 2LDs
has been rigid and consistant.

Is auDA going to be just so, more so or less so in their control of allocation
of 2LDs? We can only wait and see.

Reservations -- yes I have them, but doesn't everyone when it comes to
change. The Board won't be able to please everybody, just as Mr Elz wasn't
able to. I do think that in time, when it has had time to settle into it's role it
will be a more acceptable solution to a greater number of people.

Give the Board time to settle -- hold back a little -- and give them control of
the .au in, say, six months to a year.

Certainly don't just dump it in their lap.

John

Australian and New Zealand distributors of
Artifax Event, Artifax Festival and
Artifax Agent -- comprehensive systems for
management in the Arts.
John R N Mackerras
Desmac Computer services
PO Box 238