(unknown charset) Re: [DNS] domain-name on-selling?

From: (unknown charset) Craig <craig§cac.nu>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:58:01 +1100 (EST)
I am interested in peoples acceptance of cyber-squatters.  I do agree that
domains should be allowed to be onsold.  It is quite possible for
organisations in different industries to have the same trading name and
therefore be allowed to register a domain which would be suited both.  A
great exmaple is the recent division of Telstra which has spawned "NDC",
but ndc.com.au is owned by another legitimate business.  Apparantly
Telstra are interested in obtaining that domain.  If ndc.com.au decides
against selling, tough to Telstra I guess.

However, if someone register's a domain which they know will be wanted
real bad by someone else, that's what I have a problem with.  I have seen
examples where cyber-squatters have gotten away with this and made a lot
of money in the process.

Encouragingly, I am starting to see more and more cases of cyber-squatters
being taken to court and losing.  barrydiller.com was recently taken from
squatters who were trying to sell it to the highest bidder.  Obviously
Barry Diller (a American millionare) would want to protect is name from
being bought by a porn site or something like that.  He won his case in a
court of law.

I agree with the .com.au policy in regards to ACN and business names.
Their policy on general catagories and place names is something I have
problems with, but that's another thread :)

What are other peoples thoughts on cyber-squatting?

________ Craig ___ craig&#167;cac.nu ___ www.cac.nu/~craig _________
        Stress is when you wake up screaming, and then
        you realize that you haven't fallen asleep yet