Re: [DNS] domain-name on-selling

From: Mark Davidson <davidson§mmk.com.au>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 10:45:20 +1100
I will not comment at all on the process by which the domain name was obtained.
But it might be worth saying a thing about business names.

Registration of a business name is achieved under State laws, and gives no
right to exclusive use of the name. The Business Names legislation is there to
force people/companies who trade under a name other than their correct, full
name, to register that fact. It gives no right to use the name where to do so
would infringe another person's rights. If you want exclusive rights to a
trading name, you need to register a trade mark or prove you own copyright in
the name (both federal legislation) or prove that you have achieved a
reputation which means any use of the name by another business will make people
think the other business/product is your business/product (ie, the common law
"passing off" claim, or a s52 Trade Practices Act claim).

Assuming registered trade marks and copyright aren't involved here, if
Matthew's client can prove they have a reputation in NSW, then the other
crowd's web site (viewed in NSW) may be infringing Matthew's client's rights.
If the reputation can't be proven, then the other crowd aren't hurting
Matthew's client, except that they have taken a domain name which they both
want.

fwiw ...

Cheers,
Mark