(unknown charset) Re: local language character-set domain naming

From: (unknown charset) Craig Clark <craig§cac.nu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:44:43 +1100 (EST)
See inserts below...

Cheers
Craig

____________ Craig Clark ________________ craig&#167;cac.nu ____________
      Professional consultant by day, eccentric geek by night!
       What do I do on the weekends?? You don't want to know!

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Adam Todd wrote:

[snip]

> >Examples which we are currently testing include:
> >http://SödraKärr.se.nu, http://FöreningsSparbanken.se.nu/,
> >http://domän.se.nu and http://tillbehör.se.nu/
>
> So it's an extention of the accepted character sets - big deal.   I've got
> a DNS system here that goes beyond that and accepts control charatcers,
> spaces and ever "text strings" allow you to enter "Adam Todd" and come back
> with a LIST of all the Domain services in my name.
>
> Bah - it's just another "sellathon"

So it's not technically impossible.  But the marketing "sellathon" will
create havoc.  Just because something is possible, technically, doesn't
mean it happens.  In my time in the I*net industry (which could be counted
in years on one hand) I've seen many a site that just don't keep up with
current release servers (DNS included).  It all costs money to update, and
for a lot of the decision makers, they cannot see the advantage in such
updates.  Therefore, industry follows the latest trends 3-5 years after
they happen.  Problem with that is the people at the front, i.e. using
extended character sets, at being held back.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong..  that's just the way I see it.

Cheers
Craig