Re: [DNS] Buy.com counting cost of domain name row

From: Mark Davidson <davidson§mmk.com.au>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 11:35:58 +1000
I agree that the registration of generic names in the .com.au space is a
concern, when the policy says that can't happen and many people are rejected on
the basis that the proposed name is generic.

The concern is that the policy does not explain how it is possible to register a
name such as buy.com.au which appears to be entirely generic. Having a business
name is not mentioned as an exception to the prohibition on registering generic
names in the .com.au space - so how did anyone get buy.com.au registered in
1999?

No answer immediately suggests itself - perhaps a more open system would help -
but that is difficult to achieve until auDA is empowered and funded - and this
seems to be happening very slowly - coincidentally that situation seems to
assist the commercial interests of existing registrars, who were/are responsible
for granting rights to these domain names.

If this situation annoys you, write to auDA, NOIE or Senator Alston - you may
not get any result, but at least you'll get it off your chest. And, if enough
people write, who knows what may happen?