[DNS] Generic Domain Names

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:04:19 +1000
I just phoned Internet Names Australia on 1800-354-595 about generic names
and they of course referred me to the policy.  Click on "policy" etc.  When
asked, they explained their interpretation to me.  Below is my
understanding.

This includes that a name needs to be derived from a registered business
name, a registered company name or your own personal name.  So if your
personal name is say Russell Jones, you can have jones.com.au,
russell.com.au or russ.com.au

However, an application has to meet the entire allocation policy including
the generic word test.  Not allowed are products, services and professions,
industries, industry sectors and organisation types.  Examples given in the
policy includes "weddings".

So even if you have a registered business name or a personal name which
includes such a word (the old-fashioned "smith" or "thatcher" would be
examples, I think, of the latter) the name won't get through if it fails the
generic word test.

When it comes to more marginal words such as "buy", "sell" or "discount",
they cross-refer to the Yellow Pages and the Macquarie Dictionary.  Thus
some get through and some fail.  Certainly they argue they would reject
"buy" and "sell" as generic.

The other reason given for inconsistency is that some generic words got
through under the old system ie before Melbourne IT took over.  And if they
did they will be renewed in the normal way (under another aspect of their
policy?).

If your aplication fails, you can then appeal to Policy which is run by
their most senior manager (Jan Webster) who might refer the question for
legal advice.  Some names which are initially rejected might get through on
appeal.

The policy was set by Rebert Elz in Melbourne.  He still controls the AU
domain and sets the rules which are interpreted by INWW.  They want to get
it right because they could lose their rights (and heaps of money) if they
are seen to get it wrong too much.

It seems to me that with any such policy there is an inherent problem.
Things are not black and white.  So you sort into two piles "pass' and
"fail".  Then you come across a shade of grey.  Is it a pass or a fail? you
ask.

So why do they have the policy in the first place.  Reason given is that
would be unfair otherwise.  If you gave "weddings" to one company, it would
sound like they are representing all weddings and be detrimental to other
wedding companies.

Personally I don't think this is the only reason but who knows what
motivates policy decisions of any sort -  theory, practice or ideology?

Patrick Corliss
patrick&#167;quad.net.au
QUAD Quality Addressing Pty Ltd
Tel: 02-9740-9200