[DNS] Additional point - [DNS] Generic Domain Names

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:00:51 +1000
The point made by Doug about Melbourne IT being a commercial animal
is very interesting. I would suggest the time frame for opening
generic names be based on the following:

1/ The new panels are formed:
* Domain Name panel - reviewing the policies for domain names in 2lds
* Competition Model panel - reviewing the options for competition

I feel that the panels will recommend at least the following:
* That a more realistic commercial attitude is taken to domain names
without the face of trade mark/red tape issues. (If there is an issue
re. trade marks let the courts or parliament decide. Which is how a
Westminster system should work)
* That the RA monopoly is opened up like that of ICANN
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation.htm

I would love to see one recommendation in particular. That the RA
(and aunic) is opened up to other players before generic names are
released. Perhaps a special body designed to sell off the generic
names be established under auDA authority. Thus this non profit group
will oversee it and get some finance to boot....

Matthew King