[DNS] INTRODUCTION OF EXPIRY DATES IN USA

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:42:40 +1000
Some time ago I noted that the US registry shows "record creation date" and
"record update date".  I assumed that the record update date reflected the
last time the registration was renewed.

Based on this assumption, it appeared that a lot of US names had gone past
their renewal date.  But the record had not been released for general use.
So I talked to ICANN who said that prior to June 1999 all registrations were
through Network Solutions and to talk to them.  Which I did.  I also gave
them a list to check out.

But ICANN also told me that the registry computer system was being updated
to show the expiry date.  This was good news as it saved having to guess.

The site I use to buy US domain names is www.qwho.com as this is only US$35
instead of the usual US$70.  That translates to A$55 instead of $110.
Checking this site just now I found that the mod has gone onto the live
system.

So we now know the expiry dates & I think that's good news.

Patrick Corliss
patrick&#167;quad.net.au
QUAD Quality Addressing Pty Ltd