Re: [DNS] interesting site ...

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:59:33 +1000 (EST)
On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Rowe, Joshua wrote:

 > http://www.aunic.net.au

Good grief.

Apart from purporting to be able to register .org.au domains for AU$195
to businesses (free, and only to NON-businesses last I heard) they imply
that they can register .gov.au, .edu.au and .asn.au domains - so for a
lark I entered our domain name in their 'search and register box' at:

      http://www.aunic.net.au/austdomains.htm

.. which reported:

   Domain Name Available

   The domain nimnet.asn.au appears to be available to register!

   REGISTER (SECURE SERVER)

   REGISTER (UNSECURE)

.. so they can't even successfully do a simple DNS lookup yet.

I didn't pursue it any further to see what they'd actually try to do -
bill me I suppose? - but since when have these people (and who ARE these
people anyway?) had any rights to register .org.au or .asn.au domains?

At least they do provide a link to the real AUNIC - with no changes at
www.aunic.net that I could notice.

C'mon AUDA, it looks like the whole game is about to grabbed by sharks!

Ian