RE: [DNS] One Domain Name Per Commercial Entity

From: Bill Ladas <Bill§hicksoakley.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:38:10 +1000
Regarding the non-use argument:  in a different context, several US
cases (eg. Panavision v Toeppen) have found that registering a domain
name for the purpose of selling it to a trade mark owner is enough to
satisfy the US Trade Marks legislation infringement requirement that
there be 'use in commerce' (but this can probably seen as policy-driven,
in order to find against a cybersquatter). Whether this will be enough
to satisfy the Business Names Act is another question.  In Victoria, I
think a business name has to be used in trade within three months of
registration, but I doubt this is monitored at all ...

I have read somewhere that is an offence to abbreviate your business
name (I can't find any authority for this in the Business Names Act,
unless it's just implied).  What does this mean for someone who has
registered Additional Data Services as a business name, and has then
registered adidas.com.au as a domain name (other than obvious trade mark
infringement, passing off and misleading and deceptive conduct actions)?
Again, probably a non-issue, as it's not clear how these business names
are monitored.

Bill Ladas