Re: Study Finds Bias in Internet domain name dispute resolution

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:04:55 +1100
Warwick Rothnie wrote:

> Now that would be a great idea: put the mice in charge of looking after the
> cheese and the fox in charge of the henhouse!

Hi Warwick

That's going a bit too far, don't you think?   You must respect your
professional colleagues, the arbitrators, and not call them foxes and stuff . .
. .

But talking about animals -- what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Otherwise select by ballot . . like selecting the examiner for the driving
test!!

> What we should really do is introduce an anti-cybersquatter law modelled on
> the US one with statutory damages (one case recently awarded $500,000) and
> cybersquatters would start to realise that blackmail has consequences.

The real problem, as I see it, is the definition of "cybersquatters".  If they
are committing the crime of "blackmail", usually defined as demanding money with
menaces, there's the Crimes Act in each State with massive gaol penalties.

But if I buy all the valuable works of Picasso then I am an art collector or an
investor.  I am not a blackmailer as I am not forcing anybody to buy them off of
me.  Sometimes these overarching laws lead off in very funny places.

And even if I did ring up Picasso and said "I've acquired some of your paintings
legitimately, do you want to buy them back?" that's hardly a crime.

As I understand trademark law, the problem is in "passing off" and "dilution" of
the mark.  And isn't that actionable in common law -- you can sue?

The study found there was bias in internet domain resolution.  Funny how you
want to tilt the bias even further in favour of big business trademark owners !!

Best regards
Patrick Corliss