Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Ron Ipsen <ron§comu.net.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:36:42 +1100
I think we have to be careful in pooling geographic and generic names into
the same bucket.

Whilst it may be easier to consider geographic names as a saleable asset I
cannot forsee any real public good coming from their sale.

Ian and I differ considerably on the probable structure required to
administer such an asset.

  I am in no way in favor of the geographic names being issued for the
exclusive right of any private enterprise, they are indeed IMHO a public
asset and should be administered by the appropriate body.

I put a proposal early on into the panel and we discussed it at length, I
will abbreviate it and post it up for public comment.

In short it is not dissimilar to the ideas presented earlier on trying to
build an intuitive addressing system within the dns structure. It bypasses
the firm and biz type arguments and utilises what scaleability is inherit
in the dns as we know it.

  basically it is whatever&#167;town.state.country with mail administrated by a
body like the post office and a "dont publish" paradigm utilised for the web.

and yes, its a directory and has the mandatory web catalogue

  www.town.state.country/whatever

Once again I cannot for the life of think of a "commercial" body that i
would trust with such an asset. Publicly administration of an intuitive and
consistent system would be the only way that I could see it operating fairly.

We have been trailing geographic domain name systems for 3 years in
Gippsland and this is what we have learnt.

<snip>

> > I'm also curious about enforcing interoperability between whoever
> > runs say, the geographic DNS names.
> >
> > How will they be allocated?

<snip>

>The Panel considered a number of methods of allocation of generic and
>geographic domain name licences having regard to the rationale for
>sustaining the existing policy of prohibition.

<snip>
<abreviate>
>The Panel noted that the following methods of allocation might be used.
>
>- First come, first served:
>- Lotteries:
>- Tenders:
>- Auctions:

</avbreviate>

Ian has forgotten to mention the option of community or commercially
neutral allocation.

Ron.

(also on the Panel)

Ron Ipsen,