[DNS] geographic names (was Re: [DNS] .au space proposal)

From: Ron Ipsen <ron§comu.net.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:00:17 +1100
At 11:26 AM 23/11/00 +1100, you wrote:
>Ron Ipsen [ron&#167;comu.net.au] wrote:
>
>this has nothing whatsoever to do with limiting geographic names inside
>.com.au or
>.net.au

absolutely, I am not in any way suggesting that these should be released at
all. My observations are that the panel members tend to believe that there
are circumstances under which this could occur and that is part of what is
being looked for from public comment.

>I certainly would not object if state.au was reserved and a full
>geographical hierarchy setup. I think something similar exists under .US
>but it doesnt seem to get much use as the names become ridiculously long.

The Americans made a major stuffup with that one and I think we can learn
from it. As the names moved down the hierarchy so did the responsibility
for the subdomains. This occurred down to the "county" or shire level. The
plethora of different naming conventions, mixed with local politics and the
ubiquitous American commercial elements made the system very much less than
intuitive and thus destroyed any value it may have had as a national system.

My proposal and conclusions from the work we have done is that this
structure (town.state.au) be run by someone with a nation wide
responsibility, independent of what ever else occurs, ie within .com.au
or.net.au etc

>eitherway it would just open up more name spaces that people
>may or may not choose to use.  more choice is good.

In this case I can only agree.

Ron.