Re: [DNS] One number for the Phone and the Homepage

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:00:45 +0800 (WST)
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Cooke, Tony wrote:

> right page.  I would think that the idea would be irresistible if it was
> universal in application, or at least run by the phone company (Telstra in
> Aus) so that a search of the phone directory online would provide an
> immediate link to the website, where enabled.

re the business model of the company doing this I think they
are going to be battling because only Telstra and the like
are in a position to deliver a decent size database
and can enable this functionality any time they
like - they have everything they need.

> "  Just a small Sample of some enabled web sites once you have downloaded
> and installed the browser try them out and find out for yourself just how
> simple it is.

Thats the other problem - who's going to bother with the
browser? I could build a seamless interface to the
yellow pages database from your current browser and it
would work the same way (what I am saying here is the
technology is trivial -  the database *is* the
problem).

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd      http://clarity.com.au
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;clarity.com.au