[DNS] Domain news - 15 Dec

From: <david.goldstein§nic.at>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:21:24 +0100
Hi all

More news, and I seem to get my postings to the Domain Policy list twice,
but I do only send them ONCE! Assuming everyone gets them twice, I'd be
happy to know if I can change it so that they are only received once.

Cheers
David

Public Hearing with the promoters and sponsors of seven new gTLDs ,
Brussels, 11 January 2001
Agenda and Schedule
http://www.europa.eu.int/ISPO/eif/InternetPoliciesSite/EC-POP/Agenda11-Jan-2
001.html

Pre-Registration Form
http://www.europa.eu.int/ISPO/eif/InternetPoliciesSite/EC-POP/Invitation11-J
an-2001.html

Masters of their Domains (Variety) 15Dec
http://ev.variety.com/index.asp?layout=ev_story&articleid=VR1117790615
With more domain name suffixes on the horizon, .com may soon lose its cache
as the toniest of Web neighborhoods. Sure, a dot-com address remains the
Beverly Hills, the Upper East Side and the Gold Coast of the Internet, but
like trying to find affordable housing in those exclusive ZIP codes,
topnotch real estate on the Web is hard to come by these days.

Streit um multilinguale Domains steht ins Haus (Heise) 15Dec
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/jk-15.12.00-003/
Streit um chinesische Domainnamen steht ins Haus, nachdem der Direktor des
CNNIC noch einmal auf Chinas besondere Rolle bei ihrer Einführung verwiesen
hat.

Domain Name Swap Meet Service Debuts (eCommerce Times) 14Dec
http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/6071.html
Register.com launched an online auction service allowing businesses and
individuals to bid for any of the 20 million Internet domain names already
in use.

Mortgage.com domain fetches $1.8 million (CNET) 14Dec
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4155348.html
Mortgage.com sold its domain name to ABN AMRO Mortgage Group for $1.8
million as it closes its operations after being unable to raise enough cash
to keep going.

BAA.com domain battle settled out of court (Register) 14Dec
The legal battle over the ownership of www.baa.com has been settled out of
court after its owner, Tom Bourke, was no longer able to afford the heavy
legal fees.

New York Times awarded rights to Web address (Nando Times) 14Dec
http://www.nandotimes.com/technology/story/0,1643,500289899-500459305-503040
048-0,00.html
The publisher of the New York Times has won the rights to the Internet
domain name www.newyorktimes.com.
Also see NY Times Wins Right to Domain Name (Media Info) 14Dec
http://www.mediainfo.com/ephome/news/newshtm/stories/121400n2.htm