Re: [DNS] New domain proposal

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:59:52 +0800
On Thu, Feb 22, 2001, m&#167;rk.net wrote:
> > > What a crock - the .au domain space should be opened up so you can just
> > > have <companyname>.au. I think for the sort of directory you want, UDDI
> is
> > > a much more viable option.
> >
> >  - Having subdomains in the au domain space is better than the setup for
> the
> > cctld like .fm or .to because not only does it double/triple the amount of
> > available and preferable names available, it gives business's,
> > organisations, associations and individuals a fair go...
> >
> What do you mean a "fair go"? Opening up the .au space gives more names
> available...it doesn't mean that you can't have third level domains, just
> that there can be more of them (since there would be more second level
> domains). Locking it off and forcing people to have to pay $$$ to register
> a 3rd level domain is what is unfair.

.. go take a look at one of the flat domain spaces. Say, .nl.
At least in .nl you require a business registration *most* times
to get a domain name. And its still getting rather crowded.

Again, the problem here isn't .com.au, its with who is running .com.au.
Perhaps that requires fixing?

<RANT>
Now, just on a side note - before you go down the "multiple registrar!"
run, I suggest you look at whats happening now with the .com/.net/.org
registrar spree. Not only are there a large number of registrars to
choose from, but anyone with legacy domains registered with NSI has
*GREAT* pains trying to redelegate host templates and shift stuff
across to a new registrar. And from other mailing list traffic, it seems
host templates don't propagate between registrars.
</RANT>

(Proof that this is a good business practice is left as an exercise
to the reader. :-)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Romance novel?"
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	 "Girl Porn."