Re: [DNS] DNS and "end user" requirements

From: Nick Andrew <nick§zeta.org.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:40:55 +1100
On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 07:14:13PM +1100, Mark Hughes wrote:
> * For names currently on the 'banned generic names' list, auction them off.

Resuming the "scarcity" thread, you have now proven my point. It is to the
(sole) registrar's benefit to keep as many desirable, generic names _out_
of the allocation pool as possible, and then auction them off to the
highest bidder sometime later when the target market has grown significantly.

> Use the proceeds of the auction to reduce the cost of the other domain
> names.

They're in business to make a profit, not for the good of mankind. They'll
want to keep the profits.

Nick.
--
Pacific Internet               SP4          http://www.zeta.org.au/~nick/
   "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect